KAMPALA CENTRAL DISTRICT, UGANDA: International City of Peace
We welcome Pounga Ismail Akwe and his colleagues who have established one of the five districts in Kampala as an International City of Peace. Mr. Pounga is a leader of the Shoe Shine Cooperative that works in the Central District.
The Kampala metropolitan area is divided into five political divisions: Kampala Central Division, Kawempe Division, Makindye Division, Nakawa Division, and Rubaga Division.
Note: Introduction page with information primarily at the time of joining International Cities of Peace. For updates, please contact the liaison.
The initiating organization for Kampala Central District was mentored by Ronald Kyimba and his Golden Rule program that is growing throughout Uganda and beyond.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY
OUR HISTORICAL LEGACY TO PEACE:
Our Shoe Shiners’ and Repairers’ Group, has lived and survived, in Kampala City; since the year 1956.
It has gone through a profound metamorphosis, over the years; with varied management leaderships, to the present day; operating now; as a co-operative society of members, registered under Uganda’s Co-operative Societies Act, Cap 112 and attendant regulations, 1993.
OUR COMMITMENT TO PEACEFUL WORK:
By the nature of our Group occupational daily activities; we are peace building, because we are ever busy; involved in constructive working; and not at all, engaged in idle talk. As given to the undisputed peace building legacy to our Credit, even Government authorities, have on many occasions, employed our peaceful cadres, to tress down city wrong doers or disruptors of city mutual peace, in our work locations; and have occasionally brought same to book, without much controversy. We are a group of law abiding individuals; such that we are ever being trusted by most people; who many times, leave their luggagesto our custody, when going to accomplish other vital tasks in the city; only to return and find them safe, later on; and to carry them away, in the very status, as left.
OUR COMMUNITY CHALLENGES:
These, hinge and verge on a double edge to both our group members; and the local communities of the members’ residential abodes, in Kampala City, as a whole.
The community particular challenges, which impact our group ranges from;
- Afflicting object poverty, as affecting the active poor masses of the city..
- Lack of functional knowledge; and complete ignorance to essential matters, by our members and the city community in general.
- Profound Relativity and gullibility of the common people, to the selfish schemes of manipulative political leaders.
- Lack of genuine patriotic selfless political leaders, who are genuine to the community profound causes.
- A profound, rather instigated fear, among the common people,just to make government leaders impactingaccountable.
- A dearth or shortage of funds, to operationalize the group projects and programs, which meet the stated group goals and objectives, as it were.
CITY SHOE SHINERS’ CO-OPERATIVE SAVINGS AND CREDIT SOCIETY LIMITED
Note that the corporate name of our City of Peace, is coined as; “KAMPALA CENTRAL DIVISION CITY SHOE SHINERS’ AND REPAIRERS’ CO-OPERATIVE SAVINGS AND CREDIT SOCIETY LIMITED, WITH OVER 1.500 MEMBERS.”
”A united Group of one sound and Audible voice; to be heard by all power and authority wielding stakeholders; with Group members, who progressively, transition from the informal to the formal Business Enterprises, which lead eventually; to sound Social Security Protection, for the Group members, in the medium and long run basis.”
‘To mobilize and organize all practicing Shoe shiners and Repairers, as operating in Kampala Central Division, in one sound professional and occupational Group, of one united audible and sound voice, with members; as progressively transitioning from the informal, to the formal Business Enterprises; which are eventually, to secure Sound Social Security Protection, for the Group members, in the medium and long term basis.”
Mobilize and organize the Group members into a united sound city organization of one united audible and sound voice, of flectional reckoning.
Effectively, train; induct; and sensitize the members, to cherish and embrace the Shoe shiners’ and Repairers’ organization, as vanguard aimed at addressing the members’ profound causes and the afflicting plights, as a united corporate body of the city Division.
Organize and make the Group members, a functional body, of sound fundraising drive to meet the afflicting plights of the Group members.
Create an effective Networking body, which is to enhance effective co-operations and collaborations, with power and authority wielding government stakeholders, and other Civil- Society organisations (CSOs), as operating in the City, for material gain.
Promote mutual operating peace, among the Group members; and to ensure peaceful co-existance, among the Group members, and the city community, in general.
Please, note that these are aligned to the stated attainable goals, as set out above.
They are arranged as below; to ensure a progressive coherent attainment of the respective group goals; as follows;
ATTAINABLE GOAL ONE (1);
- Organize and mobilize the members into a united sound city (vanguard) of impacting audible voice of reckoning:-
Here, the measurable achievable objectives, are set out below;
- To arrange and set out periodic meetings of members’ effective, mobilization;organization and cogent sensitization, to embrace the organizations vanguard of emancipation.
- To bring together the respective members’ groups, in the division, for a synchronized sensitization, in order to enable them work, as a single solid unit of collective bargain, for the shoe shiners and repairers, whose service as is to be appreciated.
- To organize and arrange mobilized members, into sensitization meetings of undertaking Group corporate emancipating activities of poverty progressive alleviation to group the members.
- To co-ordinate, as well as streamline members’ individual work efforts; to enjoin in a real group thematic social and economic activities, which lead to poverty emancipation of the Group members; and the community of Group members’ abodes, in general.
- To encourage and promote interactive mutual socio-economic activities among the members’ city division sub Groups, which are to become one (1); for the purposes of peaceful mutual co-existence, for socio-economic attainments, by the members.
ATTAINABLE GOAL TWO (2):
- Train, induct; and sensitize the members to cherish and embrace the single and unified organization; aimed to address the profound causes and the afflicting plights of the members, generally;
Here, the measurable achievable objectives for attaining this particular goal are;
- To procure all the applicable requisite training and induction, as well as sensitization physical materials.
- To organize and implement the training, induction and sensitization empowerment workshops and seminars to the group members.
- To promote; as well as implement a coherent program of coordinating the city division respective members’ group training, practical induction, as well as sensitization; for practical and rewarding gainful action, by the Group members.
- To train members’ thematic sub groups, in undertaking mutually beneficial; but competitive interactive social activities of mutual gain and empowerment.
- To monitor, evaluate and even make periodic assessments of implemented trainings, inductions and sensitization sessions of activities, to members’ thematic Group engagements.
ATTAINABLE GOAL THREE (3):
- Organize the Group members for sound Fundraising activities; to raise funds, for meeting the organization’s attainable goals and objectives:
Here, the measurable achievable objectives to attain this particular goal are;
- To plan, arrange and implement fundraising functions of funds’ gain, as well generation.
- To steadily identify, as well as qualify, bankable fundraising partners and supporters, in successful fundraising drives.
- To go out; meet and engage; qualified partners and supporters, into focused and successful engagements.
- To implement fundraising activities of planned drives and functions.
- To plan and co-ordinate the proper and successful implementations of focused well arrangedfundraisings, as it were.
- To monitor, evaluate, and make cogent assessments for future and subsequent funds’ drives; drawing clear lessons from prior fundraising occasions.
ATTAINABLE GOAL FOUR (4)
- Network effectively, with government, and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), with a view to ensure mutual beneficial Co-operation and collaboration with such key stakeholders;
Here, the measurable, achievable objectives for attaining this particular goal are;
- To originate, frame and implement a cogent plan for effective networking, with identified and qualified key stakeholders of mutual gain; co-operation and collaboration.
- To hold strategic mutually beneficial meetings of effectual discussions, with identified and qualified mutual stakeholders, and partners.
- To implement arranged socially and economically impacting interactive of activities of mutual, co-operation and collaboration.
- To arrange and implement mutually beneficial; but competitive social activities; of sports, games, dance and drama; to ensure mutual interactive relations of Group thematic grassroots groupings of the organization.
- To monitor; evaluate and make assessments of implemented network activities or operations to derive implementable lessons for the future similar functions.
ATTAINABLE GOAL FIVE (5):
- Promote mutual peace, among the sundry Group members; and to ensure peaceful co-existence; among the Group members, and the City Community, in general:
Here, the measurable achievable objectives; to attain this particular goal are:-
- Ronald Kiyimba, as our link to the ICP; promised to teach, and practically induct us, in the golden rule and it’s principles, which we believe according to what he told us, is a good tool, for building mutual peace and to enhance mutual Group, and society peaceful co-existence. So, golden rule teaching and practical induction, is to constitute this measurable objective.
- To work hand in hand, with the civil leaders and members of the city community, in which our Group members, have their residential abodes, to ensure mutual co-existence with our city residential communities; as our needs are also community generated; and are mutually, inclusive.
- To encourage the Group members and the city community, in general; to generate and raise operational funds, for the organization, for the mutual operations of the Group.
- To initiate projects and programs, which while good for the city shoe shiners and Repairers; are also beneficial to other thematic groups of the informal economy workers of the city; as the city shoe shiners and repairers, are.
- To be as effective, as possible, in our networks, with identified beneficial stakeholders, as it were.
In line with the above stated goals, and objectives, these are, among others;-
- The Group members’ day to day occupational works.
- Weekly, monthly and annual general meetings, to monitor, evaluate and even assess, works and activities, as over time, implemented.
- Carrying out mutual contacts and networks with key operating stake holders, in the city.
- Attending empowerment and capacity building workshops and seminars.
- Making instructive visits to operating model providing institutions which render a learning leaf to the Group members, in how to manage their operational sites across the city.
OPERATIONAL METHODS AND TECHNIQUES;
Among others, these entail, as well involve:-
- Informative and instructive meetings, of key Group leaders; and members.
- City community interactions to acquit members with on goings.
- Inviting city leaders to address Group members, on key affecting issues.
- Involving members in volunteer works of occasional general cleaning of the city, and to thereby procure working tools and operational implements.
Letter of Intent with signatures
ABOUT THE LIAISON
ISMAEL AKWE POUNGA
CHAIRMAN& OFFICIAL GROUP ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY
- DATE OF BIRTH: 20th /12/2962
- MARRIED, WITH CHILDREN
- PLACE OF BIRTH: ZUE-VILLAGE, OKORO COUNTY, ZOMBO DISTRICT, UGANDA
- PLACE OF RESIDENCE: GANDA VILLAGE, NANSANA MUNICIPALITY OF WAKISO DISTRICT OF UGANDA.
As a young person, I went to the following schools;
- 1966- 1971 : Bugambe Tea Plantation Primary School
- 1972- 1975 :Duhaga Secondary School.
- 1976- 1978 : Moyo Technical School, when I obtained a Diploma in shoe making.
- My Life work experiences and occupations engaged in to date, are;
- 1979-1981 : BATA Shoe making Company (U) Ltd
- 1982- 1983 : M/s Kivumbi Quality Shoe Makers
- 1984- 1986 :Grafted into Liberation War, which fashioned me, as freedom fighter.
- 1987; To date: Self-employed, as Shoe Shiner & Repairer in Kampala City
- 1989-to date; Elected Leader of Shoe Shiners’ And Repairers’ Group, in Kampala City, as office Administrative Secretary; and later, AG. Chairperson
To contact or support this initiative:
CITY SHOE SHINERS’ CO-OPERATIVE SAVINGS AND CREDIT SOCIETY LIMITED; AS CITY OF PEACE IN
KAMPALA, CENTRAL DIVISION.
P.O. Box 1349, Kai:npala,.Reg. No. 10053/RCS
Off: New Taxi Park, KCCA Building, Namirembe Road, Rm 805, 3rd floor Mob: 0772 510 446,
ABOUT KAMPALA CENTRAL DISTRICT, WAKISO, UGANDA (from Wikipedia)
Kampala is the capital and largest city of Uganda. The city proper has a population of 1,680,000 and is divided into the five political divisions of Kampala Central Division, Kawempe Division, Makindye Division, Nakawa Division, and Rubaga Division.
Kampala’s metropolitan area consists of the city proper and the neighboring Wakiso District, Mukono District, Mpigi District, Buikwe District and Luweero District. It has a rapidly growing population that is estimated at 6,709,900 people in 2019 by the Uganda Bureau of Statistics in an area of 8,451.9 km2 (3,263.3 square miles).
In 2015, this metropolitan area generated an estimated nominal GDP of $13.80221 billion (constant US dollars of 2011) according to Xuantong Wang et al., which was more than half of Uganda’s GDP for that year, indicating the importance of Kampala to Uganda’s economy.
Note: If information or photos used here are copyrighted, please contact us and we will immediately delete the copyrighted material.